Plant Based Meatballs
Ingredients (makes 12-14 balls)
1 cup quinoa
1 can black beans
0.5-0.75 cup breadcrumbs
0.5 cup flour
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 flax egg*
1 tsp tamari sauce
1 tsp chilli flakes
2 tsp parsley
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
Salt and pepper to taste.
Method 1. Rinse and cook quinoa according to packet directions. To make flax egg, combine 1 tsp of flaxmeal with 30 mls of water. Refrigerate while the quinoa is cooking.
2. Drain black beans and add to a mixing bowl. Roughly mash beans so that partially formed beans remain.
3. Once quinoa is cooked and cooled, add to mixing bowl. Combine breadcrumbs, chilli, parsley, flax egg, tamari and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well (recommend using hands!)
4. Place sifted flour onto a flat surface. Spoon 0.25 cup of mixture onto hand and roll into a ball. Roll lightly in flour and place onto tray. Repeat until all mixture is used.
5. For best results, recommend refrigerating balls for 25-30 minutes before cooking.
6. Heat oil on a fry pan. Add garlic and allow to simmer. Gently place each ball onto the hot surface. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes before rotating. When all balls are lightly browned, add passata. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
7. Serve with pasta and cheese alternative of choice!